10.31.2005

Free Huey!!!

"The Boondocks," not to be confused, but related to "bundok", the Tagalog word for "mountain," premiers next Sunday. I've been waiting for this ever since I caught a couple very brief clips at Comic Con this past summer, when Aaron Mcgruder premeired them. I actually saw a magazine ad saying that it was going to premier on October 2, I believe, on Cartoon Network. I made sure to get home on time, so as not to miss it, but all I got was a "Family Guy" rerun (no diss on that show, cause I love it too, but I wanted me something more anti-hegemony, and the talking white liberal dog on F.G. doesn't cut it sometimes). But now, its less than a week away.

I've been a fan of the Boondocks ever since I caught a few strips in the Source back in high school, and I thought that it was incredibly profound and revolutionary. I mean, how often do you see colored people in the comic strip section? Not to mention that the comic strip touched on a plethora of race related issues, and even attacking and questioning the roles of current "Black Leaders" today, and their dissassociation from the youth. The Boondocks was even one of the product of post-September 11 censorship, and with its distribution through a primarily corporate controlled medium of print media, it is amazing how strong the comic strip has remained, shocking and exposing new ways of thinking to a great portion of white and middle America that likes to hide itself away from controversial issues such as race and Bill Cosby's role as a dancer for chickens.

So, its great to see that this comic strip will be making it to television, I just hope that it isn't watered down as I know it will be. I'll still watch and support it though, cause I know Aaron knows what he's doing and won't be a person dancing for chickens. Until then, Okayplayer posted up some brief commercial clips for the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home