5.15.2006

yo mama's so pilipino...

... that she's Asian (A.P.I for some folks) and has hella rhythm.

Celeste Legaspi - Bolero Medley (Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push)

I'm not too sure how folks of other ethnicities react when they find out that a celebrity actually shares the same cultural heritage, but Pilipinos take that information and become possesive of that celebrity. We're always making a point to tell other people that she's Pinay, that kid from the Neptunes too, and Prince, just take a look at how short and freaky that cat is (or used to be). Seeing our folks gaining mainstream attention, especially for positive contributions, instills a sense of pride that is needed among a marginilzed group.

So when I found out that the sample used on Lupe's "Kick Push" it gave me the same chills that I got when I heard Joe Bataan crooning about his Afrofilipino identity. Y'all should already know that Lupe is the truth and the future, so no need to explain who he is and what "Kick Push" is. But, the fact that the song samples a Tagalog song should be worth noting on my blog. I mean, the contributions of Filipinos in hip hop have been around since its infancy, and the samples used by hip hop producers are global, so it would make sense for more hip hop samples using Pilipino music. I've been trying to locate other songs that have taken its sample from this root, but the only other one I was able to find was a snippet of Lea Salonga's "Journey" for Jaylib's "Starz" (good lookin Norm). I'm sure Black Eyed Peas have sampled something, but I won't bother wasting my time investigating their music.

With that said, I'm not sure who produced "Kick Push" and how he came upon the sample, but my thing is that its cause Lupe is part Pilipino. Just look at it, he's into the sneaker freak culture, he skates, and he eats with a fork and spoon (well maybe not the last part, just trying to exhibit a possessive trait of claiming anybody popular as Pilipino).

Unrelated ish:

J Dilla's ma dukes is still workin to keep his legacy alive

Ice Cube: Best Rapper Ever? He's definitely on my g.o.a.t. list but its tough to put him on the top.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't feelin that sh*t Mike Shinoda's callin rap. Although I will disagree slightly with Kris about Lupe.

8 Comments:

Blogger DJ Stef said...

Thank you so much for this!! I just got the 12-inch last week and went to play it on my show yesterday, looked at the label and was like "Celeste Legaspi, WTF!" Maraming salamat and LOL @ BEP comment.

May 22, 2006 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. I hella agree with you on this post 100%. I saw that the producer for "Kick, Push" is Soundtrakk and i read somewhere that he worked with a Fil-Am producer MC mister RP.

June 19, 2006 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Soundtrakk...who produced that record...I AM filipino...I got the sample off of one of my dads cds...I might have like 5 joints on Food & Liquor... look out for it

Trakk

July 17, 2006 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trakk. I'm Celeste Legaspi's kid. Just wanna thank you for giving my mom some kinda hip hop cred. It didn't have her voice in it but...HANEP. My dad got a kick out of it hehehe ;)

In case you need proof:
10277717_l.jpg

November 29, 2006 5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im not sure if that sample was even cleared - im having problems locating any source that says so. even BMI's listing of 'kick push' only mentions Lupe and Soundtrakk's name, and none of the original song writer.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=8024136&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

weird.

June 21, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 22, 2015 5:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 22, 2015 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 07, 2016 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home