12.07.2005

Beyond the Squared Ring

Back in October, I saw a lot of hate on the Keak da Sneak and DJ Shadow song, "3 Freaks," on many a message board and blogs. My guess was that close minded backpackers were unwilling to recognize the importance of the bridge that is being created among "backpack" bay area rappers and their hyphy counterparts. But hip hop elitists beware, your revered dj/producer will once again be reaching beyond the usual suspects of backpack rappers and collaborate with David Banner.

And, I have begun to accept John Cena's wrestling capabilities and his stage presence, while still acknowledging his use of minstrelsy for his persona, but I definitely have to shake my head at this. I mean, even with the problematic racial stereotypes that become presented in the world of "professional" wrestling, I still get sucked in to the soap operatics (I wonder if that's even a word) that the wrestling storylines tell. Hell, I was and still am furious whenever I see Mohammad Assad's character being used to fuel jingoistic sentiments. (While he is still frequents the squared ring, atleast WWE was put in check for its antics.) I don't want to come off all self-righteously politically correct, but McMahon needs to realize that this shit ain't proper.

Lastly, I just discovered this Pandora thing a while ago, but shit's pretty ill son. Bong, bong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home