1.28.2006

Fresh off the Block



I was watching a rerun of "That 70's Show" the other day on FX, and I caught a commercial for a new show called "Black & White". Ice Cube's a co-producer, but I'm not sure about how they are going to try to portray the complexities of race in our society. I'm sure that overt prejudicial issues will be discussed, but what about issues of power, privilege, and insitutional racism? I have a feeling its just going to be some superficial look at race and how we should just be color blind, but we'll see. Maybe the Ice Cube that made songs like "Black Korea" came out of him again and the show will be highly critical and paradigm 2ish. Besides my critical pessimism regarding the show, I do have hopes that this show will give folks a quick crash course on how racial prejudices are played out in our society.

On a tangent: The making of the "Tell Me When to Go" video.

And I was listening to 95live yesterday when Nump made a guest appearance, and he spit some new (to me atleast) interesting Gorillapino slang:

"It's gettin' very pogi up in here" - I assume this phrase would be used for a setting where the vibes are gradually becoming more positive.

"Let's do lumpia" - This would be the equivalent of saying "let's do lunch." Or used more loosely, it could be used to say, "let's kick it some time."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm fer sure hoping it sparks mad dialogue...I have to wait until the first show airs before I can give everyone the DL of my own personal part in it...but just you wait, it was one hell of an experience to be part of!

February 02, 2006 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home