6.04.2006

"money, its gotta be the shoes"




If an a G.O.A.T. award had to be given to a sneaker commercial, hands down it would have to be the Michael Jordan and Mars Blackmon, aka Spike Lee, joints from the early 90's. Out of all the sneaker commercials, let alone Jordan commercials, aired on television, these series of commercials are the only sneaker commercials that I can still remember vividly. We can blame it on Nike's brilliant marketing brainwashing tactics, which led many youths to become overly infatuated with the materialistic sneaker culture. I remember there even being a huge controversy with kids being killed over a pair of Jordans.

And, my Marxist side could go on and on about the alienated worker in the third world country who is forced to work for pennies a day to make the shoes, while the bourgeoisie profit from the blind consumer in America who has been suckered into spending his entire weeks minimum wage paycheck on a useless commodity, but I'll save that for another post.

My point right now is to showcase the artistic creativity from the illest shoe commercials, which have all been nicely uploaded youtube. I wasn't a huge Jordan fan as a kid (I was a Lakers fan and hated on any team or player that standed stood* in their way), but I was always eyein' his kicks, especially with the hype of these commercials. And while I would be buggin whenever my friends at school came with it with a fresh new pair of Jordans, I never had the opportunity to have my parents cop me a pair of Jordan's when I was a kid (shit, regardless, I still rocked my Ponies proudly).

So I hope these all take you back to memory lane.

Rappin with Mars Blackmon


Very serious hang time


Nobody in the world can cover my man, Michael Jordan


Can/Can't


Serious hang time, must be the mountain air


How does Mike defy gravity?


What makes Mike the best player in the universe?


*Damn.. after over a month of this being posted, I finally catch a grammatical error on this. Folks must've been wondering how the fuck I got a degree from UCSD with that mistake. I wonder how many other mistakes I have up in here. - 7.24.06